The Worlds Collide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Worlds Collide

A Collection of Alternate Universe Hetalia Role-plays

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Muggle Power Levels

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Muggle Power Levels Empty
PostSubject: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 3:42 am

Gilbert was practicing on the Quiddich pitch with a group of Slytherin classmates. Gilbert had shown up to the Quiddich tryouts a few days ago and gotten a place on the team. He did not have any position in particular that he had wanted as long as it was not keeper....being keeper meant staying still far too often. In the end he had gotten the position as Seeker.

Now even though the Nimbus 2001 was no longer the fastest broom in production however it was still the competitive standard in professional competition and Gilberts father did not see any reason for a school student to have anything more flashy than that. However, much to his fathers surprise, Gilbert did not complain. Gilbert loved his Nimbus 2001 and it was not for a reason the average wizard would understand, in fact even most muggles would not understand the reason either.

Although Gilbert had always been taught to stay out of muggles affairs and their culture, the boy had stumbled across a bookstore in a muggle town that sold Japanese Manga. The white haired boy had been instantly drawn to the comics, his first and favourite being Dragonball. When he was older he had discovered that there was a lot more manga besides the popular titles and his secret obsession with manga and visual novels was even more encouraged by the knowledge of the sheer amount of variety.

But this was not an interest that many wizards had even heard of let alone had an interest in so he just kept it to himself, he did not want to seem like a nerd who read muggle cartoon books.

Yet this also meant he could say references without fear of being caught out, Durmstrang was for pure bloods only and most students were oblivious to muggle hobbies. He was not use to the mixed heritage here at Hogwarts yet so his muggle power level was unknowing to him, obviously more apparent.

He excited grabbed his trusty nimbus with a grin, mounting it in front of the other Slytherin students, forgetting there was other students around. "Go flying Nimbus!" He yelled out from habbit, chuckling as he took off. The Slytherin students of course did not get the reference and just admired Gils spiraling take off.
Back to top Go down
Kiku Honda

Kiku Honda

PostSubject: Re: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 4:23 am

Kiku had nothing better to do that day, except to perhaps find where his pillows were hiding. However, the random disappearance of his pillows happened so often that the Ravenclaw student rarely bothered to look for them anymore...or try to summon them, as so many suggested. The pillows never came to him anyway, or it was far easier to turn a nearby object into a pillow so that he could actually sleep. He knew that they would all come back to him at the end of term anyway, so he only spared them a passing thought since they were his, after all.

He had decided to forgo studying (the atmosphere in the Common Room was far more dismal than spending an afternoon in the dungeon) and see where his feet took him. He felt no surprise that he was brought outside, where the sun shone brightly over clouds that looked rather like miniature sheep in a bath. He passed by several of his fellow students, though as far as he could see he was the only Ravenclaw enjoying the gorgeous weather. He ignored them (mostly because they were staring) and made his way down to the Quidditch pitch. He had overheard that the Slytherins had booked the field for the day, and part of him wanted to to watch a certain boy practice.

He took a seat, noting that the other students present were either studying or playing an odd game that involved smashing pieces together. He ignored them, shielding his eyes and watching the center of the field. It seemed the Slytherins were about to begin their practice, and it did not take him long to spot the boy he had come to watch. He was apparently the Seeker for the team, which put him at odds with Alfred. Kiku had not come out to spy on him, but it never hurt to make the random observation here or there, now did it?

His thoughts were interrupted as the silver-haired boy gave a shout, his cry echoing across the stadium and sounding oh-so-familiar to Kiku.

"Go flying Nimbus!"

He watched him spiral into the air, the motion bringing the memory into clearer focus. Did that boy...just reference a manga? Specifically, Dragonball...but not many people aside from Muggles knew of the manga. Kiku touched his bag, where a well loved copy of one of his manga in miniature form waited for his attention. He made a mental note to ask the boy later. He reached into his bag, bringing out his manga and after returning it to proper size, began to read it as the Slytherins practiced. He would have to wait until he was done to ask, and what better way to pass the time (and ignore the odd looks) than to read?
Back to top Go down
http://renaquicksilver.deviantart.com/

PostSubject: Re: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 5:50 am

Gilbert was in his element in the air, he had been flying ever since he was a small child and loved every second of it. He turned and swerved on his Nimbus broom in an odd but elegant manner that seemed to contradict his usual brash and rough exterior although it did match his pride and ego perfectly. Gilbert had always flown like this as he modeled it off the magical cloud from his childhood, it gave him confidence and energy to do so.

The Slytherin students watched on, it was times like this that people who did not know Gil might even think that he should of been in gryffindor he was loud, daring and even charismatic when he wanted to be. But it was the fact that he did this all for himself is what put him in Slytherin. Gryffindor had this peculiar self-righteousness that he had noticed and did not particularly like at all.

One of the Slytherins called up to Gil to be prepared and he charmed a small ball into the air then let it drop, Gilbert dived to retrieve the ball and then tossed it back to the housemate. This continued for a while, the students charming the small balls into different directions. He had drawn a small crowd now as Gilbert was a professional attention seeker and they cheered and clapped as he made the different catches.

A housemate flagged him down and Gilbert landed bowing with a grin. He stood up and gave one of them a high-five, "You guys will have a hard time losing with awesome me as your seeker~" He chuckled. He took a wide look at the people watching him, he adored the recognition, everyone was so much more upbeat at this school. But there was one Asian boy who did not seem all that interested in watching the training session. That irked him, who the hell goes to a Quiddich pitch to read? His eyes flicked down to the colourful cover of the book and he stared in disbelief. 'No way...no way in hell!' His eyes widened slightly as he recognized the Japanese manga style on the cover. He averted his gaze. 'Oh gott he knew.....he knows! Dammit I know he knows!'

"Eh.." He looked at his teammates. "Well now seeker practice is over, I will leave you Chasers and the keeper practice your shots....!" He grinned awkwardly and and started to head off even when the others asked him to stick around.
Back to top Go down
Kiku Honda

Kiku Honda

PostSubject: Re: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 2:23 pm

Kiku continued to read quietly, while the noise around him grew in admiration for the silver-haired boy. Occasionally he would peek up and watch, but as soon as his page was turned he would return his attention to the manga. Still, judging by the cheers and excited hollering around him, he could tell that the Seeker was doing spectacular and crowd-pleasing tricks. But the manga held him captive, and it did not take him very long to read more than half.

'Hmm, interesting. He even flies like he's on a Nimbus cloud. I wonder if he does it on purpose. Surely if he knew about the manga in the first place and was a fan he would. But it seems that none of the other students realize he is doing it. It wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to keep it a secret. I bet not everyone is so understanding of something so clearly Muggle.'

A tremendous cheer brought Kiku's attention momentarily to the field, where the silver-haired Slytherin landed with a bow. It seemed that the practice session was coming to an end. He glanced down at his manga, realizing that he only had a few more pages to go. He glanced down, his concentration returning to the pictures as the students around him began to disperse. Apparently, watching the rest of the team practice did not hold the same entertainment value as watching the Seeker.

He finished the last page with a satisfied sigh, tapping it with his wand to miniaturize it and replace it in his bag. Most students had a charm on their bags to hold whatever they needed, but Kiku personally preferred to miniaturize any of his personal belongings. They were less likely to be picked up and fiddled with (since no one would know what it was), should a student get hold of his bag. And unfortunately, that happened quite a lot. He glanced up just as the silver-haired Seeker was making his exit, looking rather upset. Had he spotted him reading and been offended that Kiku wasn't watching him?

Quickly, he stood and moved to follow him, exiting the stadium and calling out to him once he was sure they were both out of earshot of the other students. His last wish was to cause the silver-haired Slytherin any embarrassment...or reason to embarrass him. "Beilschmidt-san?" He called out, using the last name-honorifics he used on all students he did not know well (or who did not insist he call them by first name alone). "If you are not too busy, could I talk to you for a moment?" He could only hope the silver-haired boy would not be upset with him. If he gave him a moment, he would explain why he was reading and possibly have his question answered.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 6:41 am

Gilbert tried to focus on his success today, he did well of course, as he expected. The training at Durmstrang Acadamy was a lot more strict and difficult in his opinion so here it did not seem all that hard. In fact, going to school here gave Gilbert even more attention than he was expecting and he was a little overwhelmed. He had always liked being in the lime light but he had always had to struggle for it, not that he was complaining, it was a lot of fun to be this popular.

The fact that most of the crowd was leaving as he had finished his practice gave him a big enough of an ego boost to keep a level head and not feel uneasy about seeing the boy with the muggle manga. It had just been a shock to see it, as if someone was sneaking into his private little world without his permission. The other students, especially the other Slytherins would laugh at him if they found out he liked muggle hobbies...what if they found out he liked muggle sports like soccer too!? This was a nightmare. He had just gotten what he had wanted for years, popularity, recognition, people cheering for him even though they did not know of his father or family and now he had to worry about it all being ruined by his stupid muggle hobbies. He shook his head and decided it was best to spend the rest of the day in the Slytherin common room, away from anyone that would know anything about muggles.

Gilbert froze as he heard the Japanese honorification. It was a joke... no way in hell... it had to be a joke. He turned around to face the other student with a sheepish grin. "Ah...Hallo there... if you have come for an autograph I don't have a Quill on me~" He joked and rubbed the back of his head.

He looked at the Japanese boys face and felt even more awkward, he had never actually spoken to someone who was from Japan before or even another wizard that knew about Manga. A part of him wanted to talk to the boy about his interests, finally have someone to blurt all his fanboying thoughts to and have them reply with the same vigor. But he couldn't do that.... he did not know this boy and Gilbert always did have a hard time being honest with his feelings. So he just looked at the Japanese boy awkwardly and waited for him to ask what he wanted.
Back to top Go down
Kiku Honda

Kiku Honda

PostSubject: Re: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 7:13 pm

Kiku hid a smile, though the thought of asking the Slytherin for an autograph had not occurred to him until the boy had mentioned it himself. He did have his quill and a bit of parchment with him, but wouldn't it be more interesting to have him sign his manga? He did seem to like it, after all. Perhaps the possession of an autograph would make some of the other students like him. Then again, it would make them like him for the wrong reason, and honestly popularity wasn't his thing. He wouldn't mind having a friend or two to talk to about his Muggle interests, though.

He observed the Slytherin for a moment, trying to read his expression. He hadn't missed the forced joke meant to cut the awkward tension that had settled between. He watched the pale hand shuffle the silver locks, making them stick up at odd angles and amusing Kiku with the thought of the Slytherin with black or gold hair that spiked in all directions. He could imagine the silver-haired boy continuing to wear his green robes, insisting they made him look more awesome than something garishly bright orange. He had to stifle his smile even more now, afraid that the slight and rare quirking at the corners of his mouth would ultimately lead to the other student being upset with him. He had concluded that it had to do with his manga, fairly certain that he had not just misheard the reference shouted to the heavens.

"Oh, I'm afraid I did not come for your autograph, Beilschmidt-san. I would be afraid of the other students taking it from me. They often hide my things." He smiled now, trying to make the expression as genuinely friendly and understanding as he felt on the inside. It couldn't be easy for someone like the Slytherin Seeker to like something so clearly Muggle. "Though if you really wanted to sign something for me, I would be most happy. I would really try hard to keep it from the other students, though I suppose it's nice to have people wanting your autograph so often."

He shifted a little as the wind tugged on his cloak, a soft breeze that seemed to be trying to help soften the atmosphere between the two. "Actually, I just came to ask you if you really liked manga that much, but I can tell you don't like to talk about it." He kept his voice low, though no students were anywhere near the two. "I know you're uncomfortable with it, but if you ever want to talk about anything Japanese I'd be happy to talk to you. I am Japanese, after all. I have some of my mangas with me, but I can always get more from home."

He gave the other student a slight bow, still smiling as the wind blew some of his hair into his face. "Thank you for your time, Beilschmidt-san." He turned to leave, but paused and looked over his shoulder. "Oh...and I like flying too because it makes me feel like I'm flying on a cloud or like I could touch them. And the way you fly looks really fun." He turned again, prepared to leave the Slytherin alone and save him from further being uncomfortable. The last thing Kiku wanted was to make him mad at him.

Last edited by Kiku Honda on Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 10:54 am

Gilbert was of course just naturally use to hiding his interest in mugglish hobbies so being this defensive was not a conscious decision, more just a habit enforced by experience. He wondered if the other was teased because of reading the manga, it did not surprise him that the other was teased for being so interested in those sorts of things. He suddenly started to wonder if the other was muggle born and that is why he knew so much about it....or perhaps he was just teased because he was muggle born in general but that was just him thinking slightly ignorantly.

The Slytherin student smiled almost shyly as the other continued in his polite and from what Gil saw, a slightly admiring way. Gilbert was the type of person to swing between periods of time of very high confidence and rather low self esteem and kikus behavior was feeding his ego in a strange way.

"Ahaha~ Ja, I suppose the other students would try to steal your possessions if you have such a valuable items on you~" He grinned, trying to hide the amusement of being called 'Beilschmidt-san' by the Japanese student. He chuckled slightly before adding, "And if you promise to keep it safe I would be more than awesome to give you an autograph." He could not help but smile when the other bowed and blushed slightly when the other compared broom stick riding to riding on a cloud. But it was true, that is how Gilbert felt to when he was flying.

Gilbert hesitated as the other turned to leave, biting his lip in eternal confliction. "W-wait!", He called, looking at his feet with a slight frown. "If you want to talk about that subject matter with me then we should discuss this somewhere more appropriate...." He stopped for a moment and looked up, his usual cocky grin replaced by a slightly serious look. He looks around almost cautious fashion before continuing. "Well I would not mind seeing more of the grounds...why don't we go see them and ..." He coughed awkwardly. "Talk about those... things" He could not even bring himself to mention the name of a muggle hobby.

In all honesty, Gilbert just wanted to know where the other stood, just what was his angle...
Back to top Go down
Kiku Honda

Kiku Honda

PostSubject: Re: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 10:59 pm

Kiku stopped, turning to face the Slytherin once more. He sensed discomfort, anxiety, and embarrassment over this turn of events as the silver-haired boy looked at his feet and spoke quietly. His silent observations were confirmed when the boy leveled him with a serious stare, the complete opposite of his carefree and confident expression from earlier. Kiku wished he wouldn't worry so much; he wasn't there to expose his love for manga to the entire school or anything. But he supposed he couldn't blame the Slytherin for wanting to protect his feigned disinterest in all things Muggle. Slytherins were known for being rather harsh, and certainly this boy's old school had not been any lighter.

In truth, Kiku only knew about Durmstrang through his random studies and inquiries, and from what he had heard the school was very strict and rather elitist. The Slytherin student didn't seem that way to Kiku, in fact, he almost seemed the opposite. He acted very self confident, gaining popularity through his spirited attitude (and possibly his looks, since popularity seemed to somehow connect with looks). But the frown on his face at that moment was a better reflection of that side of him forced into hiding by popularity and elitist thinking. It was a faltering into a more sensitive side, the inner silver-haired boy that liked manga and flying because he could touch the clouds. Kiku was personally more interested in that side of him, not because they could bond over manga, but because it was a side not many of the others would ever have the privilege to see...the 'genuine' side not concerned with what others thought.

Kiku noted that he wouldn't even call them 'manga' while in potential earshot of other students. "A walk around the grounds sounds very lovely, especially on a day like today, Beilschmidt-san. Where would you feel most comfortable talking about them?" He refrained from calling them manga himself, wanting to make the other student understand that he respected his wishes to keep his hobby a secret. There were still no students within earshot, but the Slytherin team could end practice at any moment and walk in their direction. He personally did not care if they were seen together, but if the silver-haired student wasn't even comfortable saying 'manga' he would be even less comfortable if his teammates decided to pick on the lone Ravenclaw talking to the infamous Slytherin Seeker.

A silly thought crossed his mind, though he kept it to himself. If other students happened to see them together in a more private location, they might draw conclusions anyway (even if they were very wrong). He gave the other boy a small smile as the wind blew a few of his raven locks to tickle his cheek. The day was very nice, and if they stayed outside it was less likely another student would happen to overhear their conversation. But he waited for the other student to lead, wanting him to pick a location that would make him feel more comfortable about the situation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Gilbert looked thoughtful for a moment. "If anyone asks, you just wanted to talk about Quiddich...but we can probably talk over by the lake... there is always plenty of free space far away from others over there." The Slytherin student could not really complain about the suddenly popularity at this new school, since it had always been such a struggle to be noticed and not be punished at his old school and he was very wary about losing ground when it came to popularity status. He supposed since this was an equally mixed school in regards of gender it was a lot easier to become popular, but it was also a lot easier to make a fool of yourself and become the loser everyone laughs at and makes jokes about.

As he lead the other towards the direction of the lake he was a bit lost in regards of what to say to the other, this was defiantly not a topic that he knew how to converse about, just one that he knew how to shut up about. It was purely the fact that he was embarrassed about his love of muggle genres that was putting him on the edge.Gilbert of course did not think of the other reasons why people would think the two boys would be spending time alone , those sorts of things just did not cross his mind unless he was alone with a cute girl, however the slight blush on his face might give people like his friend Francis the wrong idea.

As the got out of earshot and he was sure there was no other student around he asked the other in a sheepish manner. "Was it really that obvious what I was quoting...?" He personally thought his quote was rather obscure and since his broomstick was already called a Nimbus he really did not think that what he had called it would strike anyone as peculiar. "L-Listen...eh...what was your name again...?" He gave the other an apologetic and awkward look, he could be so nervous and shy at times which seemed so odd a contrast to his regular loud, brash and confident behavior.

Ack! This was even worse! Not only did this boy now know that he liked manga and actively quoted it... but he had seen him acting so un-awesome and nervous! This was just getting worse and worse and the more Gilbert thought about it the more he needed to stop himself from panicking. He leant against the tree they were standing near and closed his eyes as he took a deep breath. "What exactly do you want to talk about anyway...?"
Back to top Go down
Kiku Honda

Kiku Honda

PostSubject: Re: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 2:02 am

Kiku nodded, fully anticipating the silver-haired student's response. He had taken that excuse into consideration when he first approached him, and though he had not mentioned it, had planned to use that as his excuse should any student happen to inquire about it. He doubted anyone would refute it, especially if the Slytherin affirmed it in his usual confident manner. It wasn't like the Slytherin had been subtle about his practice routine, so no one could rightfully accuse him of spying. Ravenclaws didn't generally compete against Slytherins the way say, Gryffindor house did, but they were known for their enjoyment of knowledge and new ways of thinking. Therefore, if Kiku explained it that way, anyone who asked would just assume he was curious about the rather peculiar practice methods of the popular student.

He followed the other student in silence, lost in his own thoughts and observations. He mused that they probably did look like a new couple, one blushing while the other fumbled with their thoughts and tried to seem like he knew what he was doing with his 'date'. The thought amused him enough to bring a small smile to his lips, mostly because the thought of this student and himself together in any capacity other than what they were right then seemed like something out of a strange novel. 'And besides...there's someone else I rather think I like anyway...' That thought colored his cheeks pink, though following the other allowed him to hide it well.

He stopped a respectful distance away from the other student, once they had reached the shade of one of the trees lining the lake. He gazed at the other quietly, waiting for him to finish stumbling over his words. "My name is Kiku, anad I don't think it was honestly that obvious." He meant both the quote and his name, but allowed the other to take his own meaning from his words. "I happened to think you were just making a joke at first, like naming your broom or something. But then when I watched your takeoff I thought how much it looked like that manga. It could have honestly been a coincidence after all, but I wanted to ask you because I felt like it wasn't."

He turned, eyes focused on the waters of the lake. The surface would occasionally ripple, most likely due to some of the creatures below. "I just wanted to let you know that if you wanted to talk about manga with someone who wouldn't judge you, you can always talk to me, Beilschmidt-san. I am from Japan, and if any of the other students caught us talking you could always say the manga is mine. I am certain they would take your word for it. If you want to borrow some of mine, I can teach you a couple of charms to help conceal them. I occasionally read them in class, and no one's noticed so far."

He omitted the fact that even if people DID notice him reading, they wouldn't comment. Quirky happenings around Kiku seemed to go hand-in-hand with the equally odd rumors about him, and Kiku had learned to ignore them. He honestly just wanted to give the other student a person to talk to about his hobbies, especially Muggle-related ones from his own country of origin. "I apologize for taking up your time, Beilschmidt-san, but if you'd like to ever discuss manga we could always meet again sometime if you are too confused to talk about it now."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 10:37 am

Gilbert would have no idea how a new couple was suppose to act so his mind innocently and childish was just concerned with looking cool. He looked around cautiously before replying. "Wait.... you honestly are not going to tell anyone?"He looked surprised but then he grinned at the other student. He coughed and then tried to pull a less goofy and relieved expression. "Well... eh... I suppose I might have a few questions to ask you I suppose..." Gilbert was struggling to hold back his excitement. He had so many questions and things he wanted to discuss, so many topics and comments he had wished he could have made to another person even just in passing and having them able to understand and reply to him about it without him fearing their judgement.

"Nein!" He shook his head. "Awesome me is never confused~ Well I get surprised at times but never confused!" He chuckled and lent in slightly, Gilbert not being the type to keep out of peoples personal bubbles, his eyes bright with interest. "So! Awesome me is guessing since you understood my reference that you know about 'Dragon Ball?' then?" Gilbert was unaware of how much of a cult icon it actually was. "It was always one of the series that I could find for sale at the muggle book shop in my home town....I read it all the way through until it ended...ah, then I read a few others, although I was restricted to what was in the shop and the local library and it was all in German and few a titles that I found in English." He stopped himself from babbling and tried to focus on getting to the point, there was no need to be so nervous as Kiku honestly seemed like he was not about to go blabbing to the whole school about this.

"Hmm.... I suppose we could talk about manga again after this... I only ever got to read it when I came home from holidays so being able to read it during school would be so awesome!" He smiled and followed the others gaze out towards the lake, hands on his own hips as he was glad that he was not about to be blackmailed or made fun of as he had been expecting. "I suppose reading manga is probably socially acceptable for Japanese wizards... eh... I am guessing so anyway." He snuck a look at the other to try and see if he was on the right track but he found the others expressions impossible to read. "Is there a wizard equivalent to manga as well...? I have come to notice that muggles always do seem to have a more watered down version of the things that we wizards do... so I suppose it works the other way as well.."

He hesitated for a moment. "So.... why are you doing this anyway....?" He asked curiously. "What do you want in return?" There had to be something the other wanted out of confronting him about this. Perhaps it was just shear curiosity to answer if it had really been a reference but now he was starting to second guess that this may have ulterior motives, he did not know Kiku well enough to be certain after all.

But then again, the scenario Gilbert was hoping for was that he was just like him..... wanting someone to talk to, although he would never admit to something as uncool as that.
Back to top Go down
Kiku Honda

Kiku Honda

PostSubject: Re: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 11:22 pm

Kiku turned his attention back to the silver-haired student, his expression serious as he nodded in affirmation. He wasn't the type to share secrets, especially deeply personal ones. He found it nice that the other student willingly wished to talk to him, and he wanted him to know he respected his wishes to keep it quiet. Besides, it was unlikely his fellow students would believe him even if he had been the type to talk too much. They would most likely assume that he was simply trying to spread negative and false rumors about the more popular Slytherin. The likelihood of a Pureblood liking something so obviously Muggle versus a quirky, half-blood from the same country the Muggle thing originated in meant he would surely fail to do anything but make the other students dislike him more. Either the other student did not realize just how unpopular Kiku actually was, or he simply did not care.

He could sense the other student's excitement bubbling just beneath the surface as he became more comfortable with the idea of sharing his hobby. He unconsciously leaned back a little, trying to smile so that the other student wouldn't mistake his discomfort for their conversation rather than the invasion of his personal space. The glimmer in the other's red eyes reminded Kiku of the rubies in the House Points counter in the Great Hall. He mused over the uniqueness of the eye color, unable to recall another student with red eyes in the entirety of Hogwarts. However, he reasoned he could be mistaken. He didn't exactly get close enough to other students to examine their eye color, or allow them so close to him. His smile became more genuine as the silver-haired student began to speak, the excitement in his voice infectious to Kiku's own love of the Muggle manga.

"Hai, I have heard of Dragonball. It is actually quite a popular manga in my home and in other countries. They have also made it into a television show....which is rather like the moving portraits here, except they are trapped in this Muggle box called a television and they run on electricity instead of magic." His smile turned shy as he described the television, partially from the embarrassment of knowing exactly what a television was and how it worked, and partially because he felt bad for describing it to the other student. He did not want to assume the other knew everything, but he would feel equally bad if his description came across more as lecturing.

"There are many shops in my home country, though there are not so many around where I personally live. I usually take the train into the larger cities to buy them. But it sounds like even my small town receives more manga than yours does. At least you were able to read all of them." There was nothing worse than beginning a series, only to have to stop in the middle simply because the stores no longer carried the manga. "Dragonball also has two other manga series that followed it, and the television shows also had many movies as well. Where I come from, they call the television shows 'anime', short for 'animation'. But if you'd like to read the next series, or even the series after that, I'd be happy to lend it to you. I'd have to have it sent to me, but I own them all, and I'm sure my father wouldn't mind."

He stopped his babbling to look out over the lake once more, a small glimmer of silver catching his attention for a moment before it disappeared again into the water. "Ah, actually...not many wizards read manga or watch anime. I suppose it is best described as being something that's a bit unpopular, even in the Muggle world. I don't know if the wizards have a word for it, but in Japan someone who is rather into manga and anime is called an 'otaku'. It' has a bit of a negative meaning...someone who is obsessed with anime and manga. So despite having loads of manga and anime around, not many people want to be associated with it. It's strange, isn't it?" He kept his expression unreadable, feeling the other student sneaking glances at him every so often. "I don't bother to hide that I like it. It's not that I'm reading something, say, a murderer, and going out and trying to imitate it. Things like shouting 'Go, Flying Nimbus' are wonderful examples of how fun knowing manga and anime can be."

He fell silent for a moment, considering the other student's questions. "I don't believe there is anything like it in the wizarding world, though wizard art could be similar. Anime and manga aren't magic, though some have magic settings. I'm taking wizard art classes though, so if I happen to learn of something similar I'll let you know." He turned to face the Slytherin once more, a soft smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. He did not know the other student well, but he hoped that the other would realize that he was not the type of person that took advantage of other people, or that did things for his own gain. "I do not want anything in return. I am simply happy to be sharing my hobby and some of my culture with someone else who is clearly interested in it. It is always nice to have someone to talk to about the things we like who won't judge us or think badly of us for it."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Gilbert listened as Kiku continued to talk about Dragon Ball, his eyes wide in interest as he tried to look casual by leaning against the tree nodding in recollection as the other mentioned the television. "Oh...yes I have seen those things before, they were in the muggle shop..." He looked thoughtful, he had been too embarrassed to ask the clerk how exactly the things worked but he had stared at them for a while when he use to pass by on his trip to that muggle shopping market where he would buy his manga. He had been originally very surprised to find that muggles indeed had something similar to moving portraits except the people could not seem to see him and the picture was constantly changing. In fact he had thought it was some amazing magic and he supposed that the people were way too busy changing scene to have the time to acknowledge that people are watching.

The Muggle shopping mall was also where he had learnt that muggle society was actually very complicated, especially things like fashion and on his third trip in he had actually taken action into dressing like the average muggle teenager. His pride in actually having to ask for help was over run with the desire to look cool even if it was just for the sake of muggles. It had actually surprised him that regular wizarding attire was actually considered uncool and weird and if anything he was a little disappointed that muggles did not dress the same way they did in manga because in his opinion it was a lot more interesting then the boring way they really did. He had actually considered taking muggle studies when he came to Hogwarts, after all they had not offered it at Durmstrang, but he just ended up taking similar classes to what he had taken at Durmstrang. This was his senior year and it was not the time to be distracting himself with a curiosity even if it would give him a chance to be able to slip out a muggle reference or fact with the safety net of having a reason why he did that.

Gilbert looked a little stunned at the news that even for muggles, reading manga was considered strange and undesirable. Great, not only did he have to worry about what the other wizards would say but even muggles would make fun of him if he did reveal his interests to everyone. He replied with a simple, "Oh....." He scratched behind his head again and looked away feeling a little downhearted. Gilbert did indeed love manga and anime but he supposed that there was a lot of things that were fun but also not socially acceptable or that were just considered childish and he guessed that telling people about being a muggle 'Otaku' was not something that he would be doing any time soon, after all, even those who seemed the most confident and outgoing had insecurities.

He felt slightly giddy at the thought of manga that acted the same way as magical portraits or photographs and he had to consciously hold back his excitement. "Ah... that would be kinda cool..." He looked thoughtful for a moment and replied softly with a nod. "If you do manage to create something that mixes both manga and the use of magic then I would like to see it." He had to admit, it was nice to have someone to talk to about this. If being an 'Otaku' was just as socially suicide for muggles as it was for pure bloods then Kiku would know how Gilbert must feel and it was somewhat amazing to see that Kiku has seemingly embraced it, accepted that this was something he loved and did not care what others thought. Gilbert was sort of envious of that freedom, but even though he had recognized him as a Quiddich player he did not 'know' him, which meant that Kiku must not be all that popular and that just was not an option that appealed to Gilbert.

"Hey Kiku..." He looked at Kiku curiously. "Where do the outfits in manga come from anyway..?" He seemed a little embarrassed to ask this. "At first when I read a few volumes I just assumed it was mugglewear.... but then when I went to the bigger muggle shopping market I found out that wasn't the case at all..." The questions he was asking seemed rather stupid now to himself now that he was voicing them outloud. "Eh... unless they are clothes people wear in Japan.... I guess some of the manga that are set in the past make sense since it was probably like that back then right...?" Even if the questions might be stupid they were still things that Gilbert wanted to know, he had so many questions and it did not seem like Kiku was judging him so he was the one who was going to have to deal with them all. "And do the food they eat in Manga exist as well...? Like Ramen, pocky and Senzu Beans...?"
Back to top Go down
Kiku Honda

Kiku Honda

PostSubject: Re: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 9:37 pm

Kiku observed the Slytherin student's changing emotions as he first recalled his experiences in the Muggle shopping mall, then realized the truth about being an Otaku. He hoped the news wouldn't deter him from liking the mangas and animes, especially since he seemed to like them quite a lot. Kiku had never been one to follow popular trends, though he could understand perfectly well not wanting to be a social outcast. Still, not all places judged Otaku harshly--the word did technically mean a wise person, after all--but he supposed 'geek' in any language wasn't the most flattering of terms. He decided it might be a good idea to clarify his earlier words, hoping to set the other student's mind more at ease.

"Being an Otaku...is sort of like being a Muggle...or in our case, a Squib." He spoke thoughtfully, though his expression barely changed. "It's not the coolest thing, you could say, but 'Otaku' is just a label. If you like manga and anime, you like manga and anime. If you're rather obsessed with it, then so you are. I suppose Otaku only get such a negative reputation, not quite unlike Muggle-borns or Squibs, because there are those that well...take obsession to a whole new level. I don't suppose you have any plans to take over the world from the basement of Hogwarts, do you, Beilschmidt-san?" Kiku's eyes lit with amusement, a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "I suppose in every place there is something that is not considered 'cool', or as accepted as something else. And I suppose there will always be an image to uphold. But you can always talk to me about manga and anime, Beilschmidt-san, and I will never judge you. I may however, become concerned if you spend endless days in the dungeons trying to read through a manga series instead of studying."

He laughed, thinking on some of the outrageous outfits in manga actually being on display in a Muggle shopping mall. "Ah, n-no, it is not typical Mugglewear. Please forgive me for laughing, Beilschmidt-san. I simply was imagining someone purchasing Saiyan armor, or even some of the things worn by the other races in that show!" Despite his laughter, he kept his voice down when speaking, amused more by his own mental images than by the question. After a moment, he composed himself, though hints of amusement still sparkled in his eyes. "It is not typical Mugglewear, but you can purchase outfits like those. I believe Muggle children...and some adults too...wear them to large gatherings where other Otaku gather and share their interests. As for where they come from, I suppose the majority come from the artists' imaginations. I suppose if one looked hard enough one could see a resemblance to existing clothing, but for the most part it is imagined."

Whenever he drew clothing, it wasn't often based on outfits he knew. Wizards tended to dress rather conservatively, especially here. Or, when wizards frequented the Muggle world (and weren't themselves Muggle born), they often were far behind in fashion. But at a convention--though this too varied by country, he supposed--wild fashions were completely normal. He wondered if the other student would go with him to one if he invited him. It wasn't an unpopular thing to go, but it wasn't exactly the most popular thing either. But if the other student happened to agree, Kiku already could think of a few characters and outfits that would suit him very well.

Kiku smiled at the mention of food, tilting his head in thought. "Hm, well...Ramen exists, and is quite tasty actually. Ramen was actually invented in China, but you can buy it in many Muggle places in my home. It comes in anything from a bowl to a small cup that only takes an instant to prepare. It's very filling, though I suppose any soup would be. You can have many different things in Ramen. It wouldn't be the same as getting it from a shop, but I could have my father send some of the instant ones here for you to try sometime, if you'd like." He rambled a little, unsure of exactly how much or how little the Slytherin actually knew about Ramen. In manga, the noodles could have appeared in either form, and at least by mentioning them in a mention-with-some-details way, Kiku gave him the opportunity to recognize the foods, gain information, and (if he so felt the need) pretend to have known those things before he even mentioned them. Or deny he even knew them in the first place, should someone happen to walk by. Thankfully, people seemed to be staying away from their particular tree, though they were out enjoying the beauty of the day.

"Pocky exists too, and if you want you could try some. My father recently sent some to me in the mail, but if you don't like the flavors he sent I could always write to him and ask him to send different ones. It's a thin, long biscuit dipped in something, such as chocolate or strawberry or green tea...though it comes in many other flavors too. Most of it is biscuit-covered-in-some-flavor, but there's always a little bit of biscuit without it. I bet they did it so you wouldn't get your hands messy, but it does make eating that little end very sad and plain in comparison to the rest." He smiled at the other student, thinking on how to answer his question further. "It comes in a box, and though I've never tried them I hear they also sell very large ones too...huge biscuits covered in strawberry or chocolate. Could you imagine that?"

He continued to smile, enjoying sharing his knowledge with the other student. It wasn't every day that a pureblood student, especially a very popular one, asked him for something (other than perhaps homework help, but even that was rare). "As for Senzu beans...sadly, those don't exist. I would imagine that if there was a magical bean that could make one all better, so to speak, that the Muggles wouldn't have as many problems with magic as they do now." Though, the Senzu bean didn't exactly work like magically splinting a wound or healing a minor cut, it was rather magical in comparison to the Muggle science. Science seemed to explain everything, from electricity that ran the televisions to the way they could make noodles instant. "There are many foods that do exist. If you ever visit my home I will have to take you to some of the Muggle places for you to try Ramen and Pocky and mochi and onigiri and other such foods."

He lapsed into silence, giving the Slytherin time to absorb the new information. Culture shock, particularly Otaku culture shock, could be rather hard on the mind. He had experienced quite a bit of it his first time in London, especially disappointed to find that he couldn't simply duck into a Ramen shop or something else familiar. Thankfully, tea shops were on about as many corners as there were pubs, though his first taste of black tea made him miss home (and almost spit the sugary substance out in a very undignified way). He wondered if the other student now saw the Otaku as almost a separate category from wizards and Muggles. To be fair, Otaku did it to themselves in some cases, but it wasn't as though they weren't Muggles (or in his case, a wizard). Then again, the thought process might simply be his way of understanding them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 12:58 pm

Gilbert listened and he was becoming a little more and more as the other 'explained' what and Otaku was. Kiku was most likely just trying to find the easiest way to describe what an Otaku was but using the term Squib was probably not the best way to make it sound appealing. He had a few fears as a young child that he might never get his magical powers and would be a squib and end up being a disappointment to his family without even having the chance to prove his worth in the first place. Gilbert felt a little bad that he had some of the negative feelings towards muggles and and squibs that Kiku was talking about and an he gave an awkward sheepish squirm at how hypocritical he was being. Well no... it was not Hypocritical...was it? He wasn't outwardly flaunting his mugglish leaning and he knew it was something that he would get mocked for it... that is why he kept it hidden.

He gave a nervous chuckle and smile before replying. "Ahaha...... y-yeah... I don't think a planning to take over the world will be the fame that I would like to add to my family name in the end..." He let out a sigh. "But yes... The awesome me can just keep this to myself and now you.... pushing private things like this out in the open when it is not needed just sounds stupid and self harming doesn't it?" That is what his family would tell him right? He guessed if you have nothing else to lose then all the power to the person but Gilbert had a lot more to aim for with his future without ruining it with rumors and stigmas all for the sake of a hobby that he could always just keep to himself and enjoy in private.

Those less appealing thoughts seemed to disappear as the other started to say more interesting things about the Muggle culture feeling a little embarrassed at how silly it sounded when the other put it that way. "W-well... I knew the things that 'aliens' wear were probably just imagined..... " He felt the blush spread across his cheeks, how the hell was he supposed to know these things? It was not as if he has any way of finding this out. However he was not mad at Kiku, he was happy to finally having someone to ask these things after all. He raised a brow at the fact that people did like to wear them to special events. "You mean there is enough fans out there for things like that...?" He said in almost awe. "Do you ever wish to dress like that....?" He questioned.

Gilbert almost felt like licking his lips when the other started to talk about the food that actually did exist. In Manga they always made food look so amazing and tasty that he just knew that it would beat any of the foods he had eaten before, perhaps it really was just an oriental Muggle thing...? They did not really have the option of relying on magic so they had to work on skills such as inventing things like food after all."Uwah? You would actually have your parents send you those things here for me to try?" He couldn't even seem to understand how someone could be so selfless to someone that that he barely knew for no reason at all...at least not without mocking him just a little bit. "I mean.... yeah... sure if it isn't too much trouble I would not mind being able to try it sometime~ ahahaha~" He was trying to hide his excitement. "And I guess we do have a lot of similar things here already to Senzu beans... I was just curious if muggles did or not..Oh Oh! And would they be willing to send you some pocky too...?" He gave the other a hopeful look which then turned to a wry smile. "Then perhaps you can pursued a cute girl to play that 'pocky game' with you~" He snickered about the scene he had seen in one of the manga that he had looked at wondering if the other had seen that manga too knowing that it was quite possible that he hadn't. "Eh... well if you have seen that before.... " He blushed and scratched his chin, not wanting to have to explain something like that.

His excitement suddenly turned to shock as the other suddenly invited him to his home. "....You would really want me to come visit your home in Japan?" His voice smaller and a little more reserved now. He had friend for years who had never even suggested that he should visit them.... but then again his friends were usually the children of his fathers friends and distant relatives so he was brought to their houses without their request. It was rather strange meeting wizards that he did not know previously by their family history or by introduction. Hogwarts was such a diverse school that he felt like he had finally jumped out of the fish bowl that was the Central Europe and Scandinavian Wizarding community.

He laughed and grabbed Kiku into a playful headlock as he ruffled his hair. "Heh... even if we do decide to keep quiet on certain Topics....we are both still Quiddich players and students here so there wouldn't be too much harm in it.... if anyone asks we just get along by talking about Quiddich and cool foreign spells..who knows, perhaps I could put in a good word for you with my friends..." He grinned at the other laughing his peculiar laugh. "You are not bad in my books, perhaps you can come see one of my families homes, the black forest is full of all sorts of magical creatures if you visit my Grandfathers old place~" He hoped he wasn't being too enthusiastic about this, but the other had brought up the subject of visiting first.
Back to top Go down
Kiku Honda

Kiku Honda

PostSubject: Re: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Kiku noticed his discomfort, and immediately felt a little bad that he had made the situation so awkward. He had forgotten that perhaps the pure-blooded Slytherin might share some of the negative thoughts about Muggle-borns, though at least he did not flaunt it. Kiku found he liked that about the silver-haired student. The other student liked to show off, and Kiku didn't mind that. But the Slytherin never forced his opinions on anyone else, and he appreciated that and hoped that others did as well. Everyone had their own perceptions of things, good or bad, but as long as they didn't force their opinions on others then things were fine, weren't they? He tried to give a reassuring and apologetic smile, though he wasn't sure how well he accomplished the look.

His smile turned understanding on hearing the hesitance in the other student's voice. He could guess that keeping things private, especially Muggle-related things, was a common thing among Pureblood families. "Hai, do not worry, Beilschmidt-san. I do not intend to share this with anyone else. This information is between the two of us, though admittedly I am glad to have someone to share my hobbies with that will talk to me about the culture too. I find that a very rare thing in this school." Of course, the school was not only diverse in bloodline, but also the origins of students and their families. But that usually meant that other cultures were ignored, especially ones with heavy Muggle ties. "I would love to learn more about your homeland as well, if you would ever wish to share, Beilschmidt-san."

He felt a little guilty when the other student blushed, clearly feeling flustered at what Kiku had meant as a light joke. "I apologize for flustering you, Beilschmidt-san. I meant it more as a joke than as a jab at what you knew or did not know. But in truth, there are some people that would dress like the aliens in anime if they could, every single day." He was not one of them, but some people worked so hard on their armor and character development that they simply came to believe themselves to be the characters. "I have noticed that many artists draw very elaborate costumes for their characters...many are not practical for everyday wear." He laughed softly as the Slytherin asked if he had ever considered dressing up in costume. "Actually, I have done that before, Beilschmidt-san, but it was nothing so elaborate. There is a character who dresses very traditionally in Japanese clothing, and I went as him to one of the fan gatherings. Come to think of it, you look a little like several characters from manga as well, Beilschmidt-san. I can show you some pictures at a later time, if you would like."

His laugh turned more cheerful as the Slytherin seemed to cheer up considerably at the talk of the food. He wanted the other to be happy, not uncomfortable with the idea of sharing his interests. "Hai, of course I would, Beilschmidt-san! I could probably cook some for you myself even, if you would like." He covered his hand with his mouth, his quiet laughter turning to good-natured giggles. He knew the Slytherin was still a little uncomfortable with showing his excitement over manga and Japanese culture, but he found the other student's teasing to be rather endearing. "It is no trouble at all, Beilschmidt-san. I am simply happy to help you enjoy your hobby and to allow you to experience as much of the culture as you would like."

He noticed the shift immediately at the mention of Pocky. Ah, so the other student wanted to try some? "I will have them send as many flavors as you would like." He already had a few in mind, some of which he actually had in his dorm. "I have some here at school already, and can send you some through owl post if you would like." He did not want to embarrass the silver-haired student in front of his friends should anyone else see the package, but his parents always sent the boxes to him in miniature, and a quick spell or two would disguise them easily if the other wanted them. "If you would prefer, we could work out an exchange time instead, if that is more comfortable for you."

He was about to say that yes, of course he could visit Japan when suddenly, he was pulled into a playful headlock. A little stunned (and slightly embarrassed) at the sudden display of affection, he found himself blushing and a little lost for a moment as to what, if anything, he ought to do. "Ah...of course, Beilschmidt-san, you are welcome to come and visit my home anytime that you wish." He composed himself as quickly as he could, not wanting the other to mistake his stutter and hesitance as reluctance to visit or to be visited. "Your home sounds fascinating, Beilschmidt-san. I would very much love to hear more about it and to see it someday, if it would be agreeable to you and your family." He had a sneaking suspicion that the Slytherin's family might have a different opinion of him than the student himself, but he kept it to himself.

He blinked in surprise when the silver-haired student mentioned his friends. Kiku had never been part of the 'in crowd', and frankly it had never bothered him. "Please do not trouble yourself, Beilschmidt-san. I am perfectly happy the way things are now." Sometimes things were difficult, like when his pillows vanished or when he received strange looks for his magic, but he had no standards to live up to but his own. "But I would very much like to speak to you again sometime, whenever you have time, and to share more with you about anything you might wish to discuss. Was there something else on your mind, Beilschmidt-san?"

((*sobs at how late and lame this post is aksdjflkajsdfkj* ugh NEVER AGAIN NEVER LET ME GO THIS LONG WITHOUT POSTING AGAIN PLEASEPLEASE *clings*))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Muggle Power Levels   Muggle Power Levels I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Muggle Power Levels
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Worlds Collide :: The Castle Grounds-
Jump to: